Saturday, July 9, 2011

iHome iP38 Portable Stereo Alarm Clock for iPod and iPhone

This portable stereo/clock provides great sound from my iPod. It is superior to the sound that I get from the iPod speaker system that I bought for my home last year. I spent approximately the same amount for my other system (a simple speaker and recharging dock with similar sized speakers). Of course, I should include the disclaimer that I'm no audiophile and simply enjoy listening to my iPod in the kitchen on occasion.

The set up was incredibly simple and there were various docking inserts included for whatever device you will use for music. The clock is somewhat small (approximately 1x4 inches) but nice and bright and easy to read.
The clock has an available beeping alarm or it can be set to wake with music.

There is the drawback to needing to add AA batteries in order for it to be truly portable (my husband and I both wondered why it was not rechargable in some manner) and I have not checked to see how long the batteries will power the device on their own. There is a button battery backup for the alarm (included) but if you were camping, or using this for any other means where you don't have a power source, this could be an issue. I personally would plan to use the AV adapter, but that does require that you carry it along wherever you go or just enjoy it only at home.


The size is not that of a mini "travel" clock (it's about 14x6x3 inches), and because you need to bring the chunky power cord along for long term use I don't know that it is ideal for frequent travelers unless they really want to enjoy their music from their iPod or iPhone while away and have lots of room in their suitcase. With batteries installed it won't be lightweight, either. It does fold flat and zip shut, but will not hold anything inside and has no "pocket" or storage area on the outside. If it had a way to stash the iPod and adapter, it would be clunkier but more efficient, in my opinion.

That said, I am going to thoroughly enjoy it plugged in wherever I'd like to listen to my iPod. It may even replace my aging alarm clock in my bedroom. When my husband and kids saw this arrive they were mildly interested in it, but once I plugged it in they began to fight over it. So, there may actually be a battle over who gets to use it the most often unless we get one for each of us.
 



iHome iP37 Portable Stereo Speaker Case for iPod and iPhone (Black)
Bottom line: It's good-looking, easy to use, sounds great and isn't a bad price for the obvious quality.
iHome iP48 Portable Stereo Alarm Clock for iPod and iPhone (Black)

No comments:

Post a Comment